gallery wall...




Our family room has always perplexed me...the layout has always been hard for us.  There is only 1 "real" wall that doesn't have a hallway, window, or sliding glass door but the room itself isn't very big.  We have tried the layout numerous times before, but these last few months we decided that it was time to make the family room a real "family room!"  We sold all the furniture and splurged for something that was family-friendly and appealing to the eye.  We hit Macy's after a lot of research and decided on a chaise lounge sofa and a side chair in gray. The sofa is 'floating' in the middle of the room on top of our HomeGoods purple rug that we have had for years.  The mixture of grey, lilac, orange and cream works pretty well I think. 

I also spent months scouring Craigslist and local thrift stores to find a piece of furniture to put the tv on.  I found nothing.  Nata.  Nilch.  That wall itself is 14 feet wide so I couldn't have anything small or timid. When I saw these shuttered door cabinets at Target I snagged up 2.  They offer a ton of storage (they can hold all of our electronics, dvds, magazines, and game console stuff).  One cabinet enough wouldn't have been wide enough for our tv, so two seemed like a good bet for something nice and big to ground the room.  Creamy white walls and a blank canvas...what's a girl to do?

So, I called up the help of my pal Heather (who's home looks like it came straight out of a catalog) and asked for some help.  To be absolutely honest, she did all the work.  I was a good assistant though.  She has an eye for these things and she was able to achieve exactly what I wanted! 

Luckily, I didn't have to spend a dime on this wall :)  I had all the art collected over the years from thrift stores and the ore was a wonderful gift from Heather to finish it all off.  Every time I walk into the room, I feel happy!  I need to find a plant (that Meg won't eat) for the stool in the corner, but other than that I think its done.  I need to also fill some of the frames with some updated family pictures.

Thanks Heather for doing what you do to make each space you touch feel lived-in and loved :).  I love it so!!!