terrariums...




A few months ago, when I was picking up items for Hannah and GG, I found these little beauties at Home Goods and thought "what could we use these for?"  The big one was a measly $19.99 and the littler one was $9.99 (a GREAT deal because they are actually quite large).  We used them for a few events holding candy and straws but when Hannah said she wouldn't need them anymore, I jumped at the chance to take them home again.  I thought for a little while about what we could use them for and then thought "terrariums!"  Since we had a nice 4-day weekend, I thought this was a chance to hit our favorite Portland plant store 'Pistils' and have a go at it.












I will be honest with you all...I don't love 'messy' activities.  So this was a big stretch for me and I was also very careful to let them do what they wanted with them...not what I wanted.  I think they did pretty good since I wasn't overly involved on how they looked.  The gal working was extremely helpful and helped us pick out all the right items:
  • Charcoal
  • Succulent planting soil
  • rocks
  • moss
  • low-light succulents
  • gravel/sand
  • animals (our favorite part, of course)
PS-the kiddos and I watched Jurassic Park for the first time last night so I wasn't surprised when Maddux went for a dino.

Check out the 'Pistils' website here and make sure to visit them on your next trip to Mississippi Avenue in Portland.  The store itself is pure eye-candy and they also have a ton of great ideas for the inside or outside of your home.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving weekend!