map re-do...




So, quite a few years ago I found this beautifully framed vintage map.  It lived in several different rooms and it looked like this:


I always thought it was unique and charming, but I wanted to make it a little more 'dramatic' and bold.  I have a friend, Rosa, who is great at scripts so I asked her to help me.  We picked a font and a quote (I wanted to have a quote that was both somewhat travel-themed, and a good lesson for the kids to see everyday) and Rosa used a projector to put the script in a large font on the map itself.  This is how it looked before I painted it:


The kiddos and I hit Michael's Crafts a few weekends ago and picked up a large bottle of regular black paint (I didn't want a shiny finish or any sheen) and a few detail brushes.  It only took a few hours of painting (I had to do several coats) to turn it into this:


I am really happy with the way it turned out and love the way the map looks as the text.  Thanks so much to Rosa for helping me!!!  If you want her contact info for any script projects in the Portland area, email me. 

We hung it on the wall in the white family room above the comfy chair to the side of the sliding glass door.  It makes a big impact and hopefully sends a good message to all who see it:  "Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world."